2019 - Best & Worst Case

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
This is the most confident I’ve been about an LSU team in a long time. I’m thinking 2014 or 2015 the last time I felt this good about an LSU team heading into the season. Which actually scares me......... Although I still find it crazy hard to believe we will ever see Coach Ed Orgeron hoist a championship trophy.

With all that said. What would it take for Woodward to pull the plug on the Ed Orgeron project? 8-4? 7-5? Is 11-1 or even 12-0 possible?

My thoughts week to week (based on preseason notes and hype)

GSU: won’t be as easy as some think - W
UT: Texas has the better coach, QB and home field advantage. UT should win. LSU has the better athletes and more guys that will play on Sunday - 50/50 with a sneaky feeling LSU wins easily - W unless Texas really is back and above an OU type level.
NWST: W
Vandy: W
Utah State: Again, don’t sleep on them - W
UF: At home - W. But it’s possible we get beat
State: Could be a tough game sandwiched in between UF and Auburn - I say W. but wouldn’t be shocked if we lose
Barn: After back to back games to UF and State, Barn could steal this one - but give LSU the edge due to home field and Auburn having a freshman QB with his 1st start in Death Valley - W
Bama: L. it’s easy to say. However, if our offense comes out and surprises, a W here wouldn’t shock me as much as it would the rest of the college football world.
Ole Miss: W
Arkansas: W
A&M: 50/50. This works well for us that A&M will have already played Clemson and Bama and will be coming into town a week after a game at Georgia. This may be a battle of who is deflated more. If LSU is 10 wins or More coming into this game, we win easily. If we’re both sitting at 7 or 8 wins, and some of our players are checked out mentally and physically, I could very well see us losing to Jimbo again.

Best Case: 11-1
Worst Case: 8-4

We will know more after we see this “new and improved” offense. I still have a lot of concern in 2 things. A beat up inexperienced offensive line, and the fact that we are on virtually our 5th offensive scheme/playbook in the last 5 years.

Now, my gut? Tigers roll to an 11-1 record and could even possibly finally get over the hump against Bama. This is a very talented team we have. I think Burrow will be better than most think. We have a strong WR and RB corps and Brady could spread them out and get our play makers in space. That could make for a special season on offense. Our secondary may be the best we’ve seen since 2011 possibly best ever. Comparisons: Fulton/Clayborne, Stingley/Badger, Delpit/Reid and Stevens/Taylor. Solid ass secondary and the best in NCAA in my opinion. Up front, we finally have some depth and some guys who can after the QB. Chaisson, Lawrence, Fehoko, and this Ika kid looks to be legit. If we can bring along Shelvin and Logan and maybe a few youngsters who have yet to make a name for themselves, this could be one of the strongest DL’s we’ve seen in a while. LB, we have a lot of good but not great players. I think under Aranda, at least 1 maybe 2 will emerge as great by seasons end.

Also, LSU is recruiting at a high level.

I know I seem a little Jekyll and Hyde in this post, but I’m a Tiger fan, what do you expect? That and I’m trying to temper expectations and be as objective as possible.

Now............. what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Nutriaitch

Redshirt
i have been very vocal about not liking the Ed O hire.
hated it in fact.

but this is his year.
this will be the best team he has fielded, and will be at least a couple years before he will have another team as deep and experienced as this one.

if he can’t finish THIS season with fewer than 3 losses, he may never be capable of accomplishing that.

3 losses got the previous guy (deservedly) run out of town.

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
This is the most confident I’ve been about an LSU team in a long time. I’m thinking 2014 or 2015 the last time I felt this good about an LSU team heading into the season. Which actually scares me......... Although I still find it crazy hard to believe we will ever see Coach Ed Orgeron hoist a championship trophy.

With all that said. What would it take for Woodward to pull the plug on the Ed Orgeron project? 8-4? 7-5? Is 11-1 or even 12-0 possible?

My thoughts week to week (based on preseason notes and hype)

GSU: won’t be as easy as some think - W
UT: Texas has the better coach, QB and home field advantage. UT should win. LSU has the better athletes and more guys that will play on Sunday - 50/50 with a sneaky feeling LSU wins easily - W unless Texas really is back and above an OU type level.
NWST: W
Vandy: W
Utah State: Again, don’t sleep on them - W
UF: At home - W. But it’s possible we get beat
State: Could be a tough game sandwiched in between UF and Auburn - I say W. but wouldn’t be shocked if we lose
Barn: After back to back games to UF and State, Barn could steal this one - but give LSU the edge due to home field and Auburn having a freshman QB with his 1st start in Death Valley - W
Bama: L. it’s easy to say. However, if our offense comes out and surprises, a W here wouldn’t shock me as much as it would the rest of the college football world.
Ole Miss: W
Arkansas: W
A&M: 50/50. This works well for us that A&M will have already played Clemson and Bama and will be coming into town a week after a game at Georgia. This may be a battle of who is deflated more. If LSU is 10 wins or More coming into this game, we win easily. If we’re both sitting at 7 or 8 wins, and some of our players are checked out mentally and physically, I could very well see us losing to Jimbo again.

Best Case: 11-1
Worst Case: 8-4

We will know more after we see this “new and improved” offense. I still have a lot of concern in 2 things. A beat up inexperienced offensive line, and the fact that we are on virtually our 5th offensive scheme/playbook in the last 5 years.

Now, my gut? Tigers roll to an 11-1 record and could even possibly finally get over the hump against Bama. This is a very talented team we have. I think Burrow will be better than most think. We have a strong WR and RB corps and Brady could spread them out and get our play makers in space. That could make for a special season on offense. Our secondary may be the best we’ve seen since 2011 possibly best ever. Comparisons: Fulton/Clayborne, Stingley/Badger, Delpit/Reid and Stevens/Taylor. Solid ass secondary and the best in NCAA in my opinion. Up front, we finally have some depth and some guys who can after the QB. Chaisson, Lawrence, Fehoko, and this Ika kid looks to be legit. If we can bring along Shelvin and Logan and maybe a few youngsters who have yet to make a name for themselves, this could be one of the strongest DL’s we’ve seen in a while. LB, we have a lot of good but not great players. I think under Aranda, at least 1 maybe 2 will emerge as great by seasons end.

Also, LSU is recruiting at a high level.

I know I seem a little Jekyll and Hyde in this post, but I’m a Tiger fan, what do you expect? That and I’m trying to temper expectations and be as objective as possible.

Now............. what are your thoughts?

So far some wrong, some right here. The offense definitely appears to be special. Coming into the year I thought Burrow was better than people were giving him credit for, but he looks even better than that. I got on the Burrow train one day when I was listening to the Finebaum show and Paul made a mistake calling Fromm Burrow and saying he was a top 10 QB. Immediately a fan calls in and says “did you just say Burrow was a top 10 QB? Hell he ain’t even a top 25 QB Paul!”

I thought to myself, name 25 better QB’s buddy. I’ll wait. Hell, you know what, I’ll go there, name 10 better QB’s at this point. Because To me, you had 3 or 4 great QB’s and then the pack (which Burrow was in).

But Burrow seems to have separated himself from that “pack” and I’m very happy for that young man.

Now, I may have gone overboard comparing our secondary to the 2011 team. But a lot of football left so we’ll see.