Preseason College Football is Over

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
Now it's on to the Regular Season... #5 LSU finished the preseason 5-0 (1-0), next week begins the grind of the SEC schedule.

LSU faces...

10/12 #10 Florida
10/19 @ Mississippi State
10/26 #7 Auburn
11/09 @ #1 Bama
11/16 @ Ole Miss
11/23 @ Arkansas
11/30 #25 aTm

How do y'all see LSU finishing the schedule out?

I see it going:

Florida (Toss Up, although I can see LSU putting on a beat down)
Mississippi (Win)
Auburn (Toss-Up, I think Auburn is going to be a hard fought game. If the Defense shows up, LSU wins)
Bama (Loss, only because history says so. I do think LSU has the tools to beat Bama this year tho)
Ole Miss (Win)
Arkansas (Win)
aTm (Win)

Last edited:
Now it's on to the Regular Season... #5 LSU finished the preseason 5-0 (1-0), next week begins the grind of the SEC schedule.

LSU faces...

10/12 #10 Florida
10/19 @ Mississippi State
10/26 #7 Auburn
11/09 @ #1 Bama
11/16 @ Ole Miss
11/23 @ Arkansas
11/30 #25 aTm

How do y'all see LSU finishing the schedule out?

I see it going:

Florida (Toss Up, although I can see LSU putting on a beat down)
Mississippi (Win)
Auburn (Toss-Up, I think Auburn is going to be a hard fought game. If the Defense shows up, LSU wins)
Bama (Loss, only because history says so. I do think LSU has the tools to beat Bama this year tho)
Ole Miss (Win)
Arkansas (Win)
aTm (Win)

I think our team still has room to improve and with our defense getting healthier I think we will. I don't see a game we cant win but it is a really tough schedule. You take it one at a time and focus on playing well each week.

I would say we lose 1 maybe 2 if we have letdowns. If we show up and get better I think we could win them all with a few breaks.

This is where we find out like you said preseason is over.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
I hate to say it but Mississippi State could end up a trap game. The week after Florida and the week before Auburn. I hope Orgeron can keep them from looking ahead...

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
Let’s just get through Florida. I think we are going to beat them pretty bad.

Trask doesn’t scare me but Mullen has had success against Aranda. If our defense were healthy at full strength I’d feel even better.

Florida can rest on winning 2 of the last 3 all day long but this years LSU offense is absolutely nothing like what it was in years past. Meanwhile, Florida looks a lot like they did last year. Very good defense and nothing sexy on offense. They don't really doing anything great on offense, mediocre at both the run and the pass.

They’re coming off an emotional win and have some injuries of their own. It’s a Top 10 matchup at night in Death Valley with College Gameday on the scene, and it’s our 1st home SEC game of the year.

TigerTap

Senior
I think we Still don't know what kind of team we have yet. On one hand, the Offense has looked great & the defense has looked weak at times, finally looked better against Utah State.

This concerns me greatly:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-passing-yards-per-game

NCAA Passing Defense:

#81 Georgia Southern
#110 Vanderbilt
#114 Utah State
#122 Texas
Northwestern State (FCS)
is 0-5, all blowout Losses.

How good were those DBs Burrow was throwing against & the WRs beating really?

It looks to me like we really don't know too much about our team yet. I don't believe weve played against 2 DBs that will get drafted. Unless they were very young this year & improve tremendously in the future.

We have all these passing game stats, but as you can see, we definately weren't playing against the best, obviously.

So where does thus leave us? I think were going to have to look at it as almost a blank slate, as we hit the meat of the schedule.

Florida is #27 in Pass Defense, LSU is #33. Quite a difference from the teams we have been playing pitch & catch against, I suspect.

This is a bad thing, it's just playing teams more our caliber. I think @GREG could very well be right, in that all but 1 are very winnable games. Bama will be a problem, imo. I think Florida & Auburn might be tough games. Not sure on MooU, they could surprise on the road, but I think we win it. A&M is a revenge game for us, that we should win. Plus Ole Miss & Arky look terrible.

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
I agree with what you’re saying, but I don’t get too caught up in stats right now. On the contrary, Florida’s defense ranks high, but what talented passing game have the played? They haven’t faced one yet. So, we can’t have it both ways. I wouldn’t expect Burrow to put up these type of numbers week in and week out against SEC competition and I wouldn’t expect Florida’s defense to be ranked so high if they played an LSU passing attack each week.

LSU can only play what’s on the schedule and the offense has done about as good a job passing as any team could. It’s been eye popping, not average.

I think at least 2 DB’s on UT will be drafted (Foster and Sterns for sure) and their CB’s are young but talented. They’re all hurt now BTW so we don’t really know how good or bad their defense truly is yet.

We will see Saturday. I think it’s strength against strength. LSU is either on a level with Bama and Georgia or they aren’t. Florida certainly isn’t on that level. If Florida were headed to Bama or Georgia this weekend the Gators would get beat easily.

TigerTap

Senior
I agree with what you’re saying, but I don’t get too caught up in stats right now. On the contrary, Florida’s defense ranks high, but what talented passing game have the played? They haven’t faced one yet. So, we can’t have it both ways. I wouldn’t expect Burrow to put up these type of numbers week in and week out against SEC competition and I wouldn’t expect Florida’s defense to be ranked so high if they played an LSU passing attack each week.

LSU can only play what’s on the schedule and the offense has done about as good a job passing as any team could. It’s been eye popping, not average.

I think at least 2 DB’s on UT will be drafted (Foster and Sterns for sure) and their CB’s are young but talented. They’re all hurt now BTW so we don’t really know how good or bad their defense truly is yet.

We will see Saturday. I think it’s strength against strength. LSU is either on a level with Bama and Georgia or they aren’t. Florida certainly isn’t on that level. If Florida were headed to Bama or Georgia this weekend the Gators would get beat easily.

I agree, I just use the stats to see what our opponent's strengths are right now. And you're right, Florida hasn't played a QB nearly as good as Ehlinger. Plus their Defense is only 5 spots ahead of us, which is negligible anyway. As for the INTs, it just shows me their DBs are pretty decent.

I do not have real trouble trying to grade the cupcake type teams. It's hard to know how good any of them really are. That's what I meant about kind of starting with almost a clean slate entering SEC play. We're going to get challenged.

The thing that caught my attention was that all 5 Wins have very susceptable DB corps. Were we that good, or were they that bad? Probably a little bit of both.

You're right about the Texas DBs probably being drafted. I watched the Mountain Mamas of WV put up 367 passing on Texas' DBs. Although WV threw 3 TDs, they tossed 4 INTs. The Texas Defense this year is kind of...schizophrenic.

But headed into this weekend, I see LSU having 2 huge advantages. We have a much better QB than they have & we are playing in Tiger Stadium. We should win this game, but it might be a tough one.

I'm also interested to see how our OL & DL compares with another talented team. I know we played pretty well against Texas in the trenches. Hoping to see more improvement on the OL.